To date in 2021, 29,149 wildfires (47 classified as large) have burned 1,118,377 acres of land in the United States. That is nearly 70% of the 10-year average-to-date area burned by wildfires, according to the National Interagency Fire Center (NIFC). Additionally, the NIFC reports that significant fire activity is increasing in multiple geographic regions and firefighting activity is expected to increase. As such, the National Preparedness Level has been elevated to Preparedness Level 4 (PL4).  In the last 20 years, 2002, 2008, and 2012 are the only previous fire years when the National Preparedness Level has been increased to PL4 in the month of the June. Since 1990, June 22 is the second earliest increase to PL4 (NIFC).

In 2020, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire) reported that 10,488 structures were damaged by wildfires. Sadly, once the rainy season starts in the fire-affected zones, areas impacted by fires are particularly prone to debris flows, sometimes referred to as mudslides, which can result in further damage to property. The burning of vegetation and soil on slopes more than doubles the water runoff rate into watercourses.

With focused presence in geographic areas prone to wildfires, and more than 25 years of experience in evaluating damage caused by natural and man-made disasters, Nelson Forensics provides the expertise to thoroughly and objectively evaluate fire-damaged buildings and building components – from the foundation to the roof; the envelope to the structural system; and the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. Nelson’s licensed architects and engineers are prepared to determine the extent of fire-related damages and provide associated remedial recommendations along with cost-of-repair estimates, with consideration for building codes and professional standards of care. Nelson’s professional services include initial post-fire damage assessment through dispute resolution, if necessary.

To request Nelson’s services or inquire further about our capabilities, please call, e-mail, or submit an online request here