Nelson Forensics is seeking to add qualified, confident, personable, and communicative Civil/Structural Engineers to its team of experts.
The qualified candidate will conduct forensic investigations in accordance with the scientific method, utilizing detailed field investigation techniques and command of core engineering principles. The position affords the candidate experience with a wide breadth of project types, varying in size, duration, and complexity; while providing the opportunity to develop depth in personally desired areas of expertise.
- Conduct investigations to determine the cause and origin of structural collapses, failures, damages, and defects for residential, commercial, institutional, and industrial structures due to a wide range of perils;
- Prepare clear, concise, cohesive, accurate, and defensible reports;
- Communicate regularly and directly with a variety of clients;
- Manage concurrent projects with varying sizes, scopes, client types, and durations;
- Provide deposition, mediation, arbitration and/or trial testimony.
- Strong command of fundamental structural engineering principles;
- Strong analytical skills and the desire and ability to tackle complex problems;
- Working knowledge of building codes and ability to conduct independent research of codes, standards, and other technical references;
- The ability to clearly communicate engineering principles, verbally and in writing, to audiences with varying technical proficiency;
- Desire and ability to multi-task;
- Prompt responsiveness to inquiries from peers and clients, sometimes outside of normal working hours;
- Flexibility with respect to work schedule and travel. Travel is a requirement of the position, occasionally with little advance notice;
- Desire to continually develop and refine technical knowledge through targeted continuing education.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering required;
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in civil or structural engineering a plus;
- Five to ten years of structural design experience preferred; candidates with less will be considered;
- Active Professional Engineering (P.E.) license acquired by examination is required;
- NCEES record desired;
- Completion of the 16 hour NCEES Structural exam a plus.